Saturday, May 23, 2020

Great New Artist: Ref 3 Shabana Vashi

       

It is always immeasurably pleasing to meet a person who has a clear vision and who is never scared to use imagination, technique and color, all in abundance, because this is what transforms an ordinary painter into an extremely great artist! 

“The colours in my art reflects my mood when I am painting”


Hi Shabana, nice to meet you! Where did you grow up?

I was born 43 years ago in the city of Vadodara in Gujarat, India as the eldest of three siblings. Gujarat is the most western state of India. Its coastline is 1,600 km long and the state has a population of 60,4 million. Vadodara is a good city to live in as it serves the best in education and food and also has respectable people. The city also has rich heritage of the ancient Maratha Emperors.
I graduated with bachelor degree in Physics at the Maharaja Sayajirao University that was originally established as a college in 1881 already and it has one of the oldest Physics departments in India.
In 1997, after I completed my studies, my family joined my dad who was in South Africa.
I am married now and has two daughters as well as a son. My girls love doing artwork like sketch, fabric paint, watercolour and crafts at school, but my son is not interested in arts.


Were you always an artist?

I am a former Maths and Science high school educator but I am now a housewife and entrepreneur (Supervisor for Forever Living Products).


What is your art training background?

I am a self-taught artist. I did some artwork in high-school as a hobby and only took it up once more in October 2019 after I watched lots of YouTube tutorials that inspired me to start painting again. I am now planning to become full-time artist.


What is the best thing in being an artist?

I love to create something out of nothing and find that I can express myself through my paintings and its colours. The colours in my art reflects my mood when I am painting. When I start a painting, I sometimes get so inspired that I paint fast and find it difficult to stop. If time permits, I need a maximum of a week to finishing such a painting.
I also love when family and friends appreciate what I do and when my paintings become part of someone's life and home!

                   


What inspires you to create art?

Nature inspires me to create. I love beautiful landscapes, sunsets, full moons and seascapes. I do mostly use photo references and when I come upon such scenes, I get excited and cannot wait to capture the scene in paint and to express the feeling and emotion of the moment. Actually, I don't know when to stop working on my painting. I keep working on it till my kids tell me to stop! They are my biggest critics! I see satisfaction with my work as success - I don't measure success in monetary terms.

Who is your favourite artist?

Duong Tieng from Vietnam. I love the landscapes and stunning use of colour and it inspires me to establish my own niche and style of painting.




Are you doing commissions?

Haven't started with commission work yet, but have got some offers to do Islamic art calligraphy.

Which mediums gives you the most joy and what else are you doing?

Acrylic is my favourite, but I have also done contemporary artwork using a palette knife, brushes, aluminium foil, cardboard, cling wrap, etc. I have also experimented with balloon smash, chain pull, string pull and pouring art and even used shaving foam to make a painting!


“This video is of “Pink Explosion” (acrylic on canvas, 
400x400 mm). It's a combination of smooth lines and 
texture in the abstract art style and gave me immense pleasure in creating it.”

Do you do any research on art?

Before starting my painting, I do research on things like reflection of light, shadows, depth of paintings and layering.
I also study Islamic art and learn calligraphy.

How important are titles to your artworks?

Titles are very important as it tell more of the passion and emotions when the painting was created. For me sometimes it's poetic and sometimes it's just a plain few words! Occasionally I look up to my family and friends to give my paintings a suitable title.

           

Which of your paintings is your favourite one?

All are favourites, making it difficult to choose, but I think the recent one “Sunset over the Lake” is my best work so far.



What is the hardest part of creating a work of art?
To get started is the hardest part of creating a work of art. I don't have a full day to create, maybe a few hours a day. City life is more chaotic than country life and it is harder to find time to create more. I paint after finishing my chores and putting the kids to sleep - I have a hyperactive 5-year-old!
I don't have a dedicated workplace but I am planning to renovate a corner of my bedroom to make a studio for my work.

How do you market your art?

Online marketing and social media are the best form of marketing these days. It however still takes years to establish yourself and make a brand name for your artwork.
To me it is a very emotional process to sell my artwork personally.

Where can prospective buyers currently see your work?

Currently my artwork is published online only. I have my digital catalogue on my Etsy store “Art by Shabana” and I also am a member of SA Art Explosion.
I haven't taken part in any exhibition yet but would like to in future.

In your personal view, what role does the artist have in society?

Very important! They make the world more emphatic and loveable.

What’s the favourite part of your art?


 To exhibit my paintings and show them to the world

                                                                       


What would you do different if you had the opportunity?

If I could go back in time, I would start as a full-time artist and studied fine arts instead of sciences at University.

What advice would you give to your younger self?

Practice, practice and practice. Keep painting! Practice makes perfect.

Regards

Shabana






















1 comment:

  1. Dear Reader
    We would like to have your views on our articles, so please leave your comment here.
    However, please note that you will not be able to leave comments before registering to our blog at the bottom of this page.
    You only need to provide your email address for registration.
    Kind regards
    Steph

    ReplyDelete